Hope and Healing
"Lord my God, I called to You for help, and You healed me."
We have gathered a list of resources that may be helpful in troubled times and difficult circumstances.
We recommend first connecting with your local parish priest to seek spiritual and pastoral support. We also have a priest assigned to our ministry so please let us know should you want to meet with him at the Gardens of Gethsemani, and we can help make arrangements for a meeting.
Elizabeth Ministry is an international movement designed to offer faith-based hope and healing resources for women and their families on issues related to childbearing, sexuality and relationships and infant loss. To find a parish chapter near you or to learn more about Elizabeth Ministry, click here.
Catholic Registered Professional Counsellors
Find ways to take care of yourself during these days and find people who will listen to your pain without judgement and without forcing you to rush through your grief. Sometimes, it can be healthy to reach out and seek professional counselling as you walk through this time.
For a list of vetted Catholic Counsellors, please click here.
BC Bereavement Services
For grief and bereavement resources in your area, please contact the BC Bereavement Helpline:
In the Lower Mainland call: 604-738-9950
Throughout BC call toll-free: 1-877-779-2223
Recommended Books and Materials
Here are a few of our favourite books and materials that you may find useful during this time.
- Healing Your Grieving Heart. 100 Practical Ideas. Compassionate advice and simple activities to help you through your loss by Alan D. Wolfelt, PH.D
- Understanding Your Grief. Ten Essential Touchstones for Finding Hope and Healing Your Heart by Alan D. Wolfelt, PH.D
- The Understanding Your Grief: Journal. Exploring the Ten Essential Touchstones by Alan D. Wolfelt, PH. D
- Spirituality and Health. What’s Good for the Soul Can Be Good for the Body, Too by James Roche
- Dying to be Happy. Discovering the Truth About Life by Chris Stephen
- Articles on Grief and Bereavement, Reverend Michael Sabara
- Catholic Health Alliance of Canada
- Health Decisions and Care at the End of Life: A Catholic Perspective (2015)
- Lift Up Your Hearts to the Lord